Monday, March 30, 2009

And it starts.....now!










Photos: 3/18/09

I started this blog awhile back and have yet to post. I've been busy redoing my studio. It is now near completion and I will post pictures soon. Other then that, I haven't done any new personal art to post about. Life has been busy and chaotic and I just haven't had much energy. Regardless, I've felt guilty about this just sitting here empty. Now that changes. I'm on  the upswing. 

The biggest change of late is being back in the classroom. I recently got back into teaching after-school programs with the Community Arts Partnership at CCS. Teaching is something I really enjoy and plan to continue doing...perhaps to the point of returning to CCS to obtain an ArtEd degree. I am making many HUGE changes in my life both personally, professionally and artistically. Part of those changes include holding myself responsible to doing the things I want to do instead  of taking the "oh man, I wish I had time....." approach.  If CCS taught me nothing else....it taught me I have plenty of time, its the priorities that need adjusting. Along with my personal art related "stuff" I've decided to make posts about teaching and the overall experience since art is what I teach. 

Adventures In Teaching:  Casimir Pulaski - Part 1

My first day back to teaching is at a school called Pulaski. Its on the east side of Detroit near State Fair. The school holds grades K-8 and our classes are every Wednesday from 3-6pm. We have rotating classes of kids from 3rd grade to 7th. In getting  back into the swing of things I was lucky enough to get the support teacher role. In the CAP program there are two artists to every classroom...one lead and one support. While we are equals...the lead is generally the instructor that runs the overall flow of the lessons. Having  been in both support and lead positions...its nice to break back in without the added stress of being a lead and having to do lesson plans, etc. The Pulaski class is Arts & Crafts based. I am teaching with an instructor whom I've known since I first trained to get into the CAP program, Geoff Gillespie.

Teaching has many interesting adventures, especially in the Detroit School system. However I will save my comments on the school system for another day. In the one day at Pulaski thus far things ran pretty smoothly. We only had one "scuffle" that luckily was taken care of prior to coming to blows. Luckily it came at days end and was minor. The first lesson for the kids was one on abstraction. We had the kids start with pencil and watercolor paper. Each traced their own hands in multiples all over the page. Following that they outlined the pencil with sharpie to create the dark lines that would teach them about separation and layers in art. Once this was done we gave them watercolors and encouraged them to paint however they wanted. The lesson showed them that something that once was very familiar can easily turn into a piece on form and shape. It can become something completely new!

Above (since blogger sucks at letting you format pics into the design of the post) are some photos I took during both classes. Overall their work was very good. I was impressed with their choice of color. Many of them used complimentary colors and upon being asked why they chose those colors the response was "I dunno...they just look good together. They go together." It was interesting. I gave them some impromptu tidbits on primary and secondary colors and how they can make any color they want. Much to my surprise one of the younger students schooled me on Picasso out of nowhere. I was blown away that a third grader knew so much on the subject when many of the older kids had no idea who Picasso was. It gave me an instant perma-grin. Just as I was smiling ear to ear and talking to Geoff about it the student's parent walked in. She seemed very proud that her little girl impressed the teacher. Needless to say she is excited to have her child in the program and that makes the child more excited to be there to learn. Coming from many very "difficult" schools...it was a great surprise and relief to finally be in a school where at least some parents are positive role models and helpful instead of hurtful to what we are trying to accomplish. 


No comments: